– BA462 at TED University
1. Define the basic concepts related to new product development in the field of marketing
2. Recognize the importance of managing innovation, operations management and intellectual property within firms
3. Identify the roles of technology and macro factors in innovation
4. Describe the role of market research in the new product development process
5. Prepare a comprehensive plan for a new product idea
6. Discover the steps of new idea and concept generation
An example of course evaluation survey summary
Before 2023 Fall, there were open-ended questions in course evaluations. This is a list of those comments.
“Everything was good. Thanks to instructor for all efforts.” (BA462, Spring 2022, TED University)
“As an engineering student, I can say that it’s a great and very interesting course. However, what makes it perfect is the instructor, Aras Alkış. He is one of the most caring and understanding teachers I’ve ever seen.” (BA462, Spring 2021, TED University)
“Our teacher was student-friendly and very helpful throughout the semester. In addition, I gained a lot of information that will help me throughout my life and expand my perspective.” (BA462, Spring 2021, TED University)
“It is really creative, it has an unusual concept that makes me wow it will be a brilliant example for my life. It does not matter if the concept succeeds or fails. I learned how to take something one step further, how to differentiate.” (BA462, Spring 2021, TED University)
“It was awesome.” (BA462, Spring 2020, TED University)
“The professor provides extremely valuable feedback. During the online sessions professor always asked us questions and involved us in the class participation.” (BA462, Spring 2020, TED University)
“it was a confusing lesson…” (BA462, Spring 2022, TED University)
“Course materials, the content and the teaching method do not help at all, when it comes to studying for the exam or the projects. Also, I understand that new product development is a complex process and requires time and effort, however it is unfair to expect students to put that time and effort for the next project when you deduct points in such a discouraging way.” (BA462, Spring 2023, TED University)
“Course content should have been stated more clearly at the beginning of the semester. Instead of uploading the project briefs only 1 week or less before the project, it should have been uploaded in a more timely manner. It created huge time management problem for students since we have responsibilities from other courses as well. The project briefs were not clear, and the instructor gave further explanations way too late considering the course and project timeline.” (BA462, Spring 2023, TED University)
“Too much stuff to handle in limited time period. A really hard course.” (BA462, Spring 2023, TED University)
“I took this as a secondry field course and this course takes too much time for a secondry field course. There always projects and presentations( for final week there is 3 presentations and because of this course I couldnt give enough time to my faculty must take courses’ projects.) The instructions for projects are not clear and all my group members and course mates are always confused during these projects. How can everyone in the class misunderstand the project and get very low grades? I think instructor doesnt explain the tasks celarly so everybody misunderstands the briefs.Course takes too much time as there is always projects and presentstions. I got this course to make my gpa higher but I am afraid it will go lower.” (BA462, Spring 2023, TED University)
“The course seems to be poorly planned and fairly poorly executed due to the lack of attendance and the general chaos among the students due to the lack of knowledge caused by planning and attendance issues. The instructor simply failed to pull students to the class due to the hybrid learning system and people simply did not attend the online classes. Attendance might have been forced by giving penalties or the project system should be abolished as when people are not around they cant do collective work effectively. The abolition of the project system would be against the aim of the course so the instructor should be more strict about attendance in my opinion. Other than that the instructor is clearly knowledgeable about the subject he is teaching however the course and especially the deadlines were very flawed as we were asked to do the tasks that we did not cover beforehand in some cases. These are the reasons why I gave this class a poor rating even though I quite liked the instructor personally.” (BA462, Spring 2023, TED University)
“Bu dersi aldığıma gerçekten pişman oldum. Çok heveslenmiştim. Ama hiçbir şey öğrenmedim. Briefler ne yapmamız gerektiğini hiçbir şekilde anlatmıyordu. Takım arkadaşlarımla çabalayarak anlamaya çalıştık. Aynı zamanda ders işleyiş şeklini de hiç verimli bulmadım. Verilen projeler mental olarak ben ve takım arkadaşlarımı çok yordu. Bu projelerde ne istediğini anlamak bizi en çok yoran unsurdu. Ayrıca 1 haftaya 4 sunum istemek hiç insanca bir davranış değil. Bunun da bir nevi mobing olduğunu düşünüyorum. Bir dahaki dönem bu hocanın olduğu hiçbir dersi almamaya çalışacağım. Bu dersten kalırsam benim bir dönem için daha ödeyecek bir param yok. Ülkenin de durumu belli zaten” (BA462, Spring 2023, TED University)
“Gerçekten aldığıma pişman olduğum bir ders oldu. Dönem başladığı andan itibaren briefler eksik paylaşıldı ya da hiç paylaşılmadı. Maillere yanıt alamadık. Feedback alamadık. Ders içeriğinde yer alan kitaplara pdf erişimimiz için dahi ders hocası tarafından herhangi bir destek alamadık. Gerçekten mental anlamda çok zorlayıcı bir dersti. Briefi dahi olmayan sadece başlıkları verilmiş konulara sunum hazırlamaya çalıştık. Ders hocası ile iletişime geçtiğimizde de sorunlarımıza kesinlikle somut bir çözüm alamadık. En fazla sunum tarihimiz 2 gün ileriye alındı. Gerçekten verimsiz bir dersti.” (BA462, Spring 2023, TED University)
Teaching Innovations in 2023 Fall Semester.
The purpose of these innovations are (1) to increase active engagement and participation, (2) to instill a sense of course community in the audience, so that they can work better in groups and (3) to manage uncertainty that results in frustration later in the course.
- A dedicated course page – more functional and with better user interface compared to the learning management system that also contains the essentials for the course. The page is available through the link, https://learners.love/ba462-2023-fall/
- Self-assigned usernames for objective assessments and truthful learner engagement, e.g., anonymized expressions.
- Groups that are formed at the beginning of the semester with stratified random sampling from different majors. The rationale for the method of group formation is shared with learners, it emphasizes embracing diversity to be able to professionally work with people from different backgrounds and with different world views…
- Anonymized peer evaluations from group projects at 5% of course grade.
- Incentivized weekly reports that also include feedback on that session.
- A highly practical access to slides in a presentation format.
- All features within a protected online environment without the possibility of merging user data across courses/ media/ devices for any other purposes.